The construction of the Metsä Group's bioproduct mill in Äänekoski in Finland began in May 2015. In 2015, the focus was on construction and installation work started at the beginning of 2016. Production trials began on February 2017. Metsä Group’s next-generation bioproduct mill in Äänekoski came into operation as planned on Tuesday, 15 August 2017 at 6:00 in the morning. Pulp deliveries from the new mill to customers will begin in early September 2017.
Partners in the project
Our main partners in the bioproduct mill project were Valmet Corporation, Andritz Oy and Sweco Rakennetekniikka Oy
Valmet Corporation supplied the recovery boiler, drying line, lime kiln, bark gasification equipment and automation systems. Andritz Oy supplied the fibre line, wood processing plant, evaporation plant and causticising plant. Sweco was responsible for implementation planning. Around 70 per cent of the equipment was acquired from Finland, and 100 per cent of the implementation planning will be carried out in Finland.
With regard to equipment acquisitions, Metsä Group was responsible for the heat exchangers, electric motors, valves, pumps, equipment installation, pipes and pipe bridge, as well as electrical installation and instrumentation installation. Valmet and Andritz were responsible for the main process equipment, reactors and tanks.
The construction of the bioproduct mill was being implemented through client-driven subcontracting, meaning that the construction project and various contracts were divided into smaller parts. This enabled local and small companies to take part.
Overall, the degree of Finnish origin for the entire bioproduct mill project is high: more than 70 per cent.
Key numbers of project
- More than 13,400 people in total worked at the construction site from 2015 to 2017
- Finns represented 64 per cent of the project workforce
- After Finns, the largest groups have come Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Croatia and Slovakia
- Around 650 contractors were working at the construction site each day. During the project, more than 1,000 companies worked at the construction site, with Finnish businesses representing 89 per cent of the total
Scope of the construction of the Metsä Group bioproduct mill
- Total area required for the mill: 40 ha
- Gross building area: 142,000 m2
- Total building volume: 1,200,000 m3
- In-situ concrete: 100,000 m3
- Load-bearing concrete arches: 80,000 m2
- Piling: 190 km
- Steel structures: 7,000 t
- Concrete elements: 15,000 pcs
- New bridge for lorries: 80 m
- Railway work, new tracks: 4.5 km
- Excavation: 220,000 m3
- Dredging and filling: 250,000 m3
- Raw-water pipe (diameter 2.2 m): 1.2 km