Number of workers on site at its peak

Metsä Group’s bioproduct mill project in Äänekoski is progressing on schedule, and the number of workers on the construction site is currently at its highest, averaging 2,600 to 2,700 professionals per day. On the busiest days, the number has risen to close to 3,200. The main focus is now on installation work, which started at the pulp mill at the beginning of 2016. The total project is around 80 per cent complete, and the bioproduct mill will be inaugurated in the third quarter of 2017.

During the project, between May 2015 and November 2016, more than 8,200 people in total have worked at the construction site. Finns represent 68 per cent of the project workforce, with foreign employees constituting the remaining 32 per cent. After Finns, the largest groups have come Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Croatia and Slovakia.

Around 650 contractors are working at the construction site each day. During the project, more than 1,000 companies have worked at the construction site. Photos: Metsä Group



The construction of the bioproduct mill is being implemented through client-driven subcontracting, meaning that the construction project and various contracts are divided into smaller parts. This enables local and small companies to take part. Around 650 contractors are working at the construction site each day. During the project, more than 1,000 companies have worked at the construction site, with Finnish businesses representing 92 per cent of the total. Overall, the degree of Finnish origin for the entire bioproduct mill project is high: more than 70 per cent.

Overall, the degree of Finnish origin for the entire bioproduct mill project is high: more than 70 per cent.

Metsä Fibre, which is part of Metsä Group, requires compliance with the law and collective agreement throughout the subcontracting chain. Compliance with the Act on the Contractor’s Obligations and Liability when Work is Contracted Out, for example, is monitored closely. All contractors must prove their compliance before their employees are granted work permits.

The project management system provides accurate, up-to-date information about the contractors present on the construction site, as well as the number of people present and their nationalities. The system is also used to provide the Finnish Tax Administration with the statutory employee information every month, and the information is stored for the Regional State Administrative Agency, among other parties.

More information:
Timo Merikallio, Project Director, Metsä Fibre, tel. +358 50 5989 342, timo.merikallio(at)metsagroup.com
Anna-Liisa Pennanen, Communications Manager,
Metsä Fibre, tel. +358 50 5748 071, anna-liisa.pennanen(at)metsagroup.com

Return to frontpage